As written by a non-drinker.
Ok, a very seldom drinker. Occasional drinker maybe? Weddings & Functions drinker? I like the ODD West Coast Cooler…(and I’m told that doesn’t really count as the alcohol percentage is like 4% LOL)
1. No hangovers. Ever. A great night can lead to a great next day rather than a gross morning feeling like death warmed up.
2. Your skin won’t lose its shine. You don’t have the dullness or fine lines alcohol, a dehydrator, increases — so no zombie face next morning! (Reamiester would tell you I get zombie face anyway….)
3. Meals (particularly brunch) are always half the price. Forget multiple cheeseburgers or extra large Ulster Frys (no mushrooms please, extra bacon) making you want to cry when you get your bill.
5. The fear you left your card and ID at the bar doesn’t exist. “Did I close that bar tab?” No, because you never opened one to start.
6. You have more energy. Alcohol, a depressant, makes people sleepier — which is the last thing you need when you’re out after a long day. I’m naturally a sleepyhead so could you imagine if I consumed alcohol regularly?!
7. It’s easier to get yourself home safely. It may be 3 in the morning, but you can still trust yourself to drive (and help your friends get back home too).
8. You can always be your friends designated driver, and they love you for it. Driving with them singing in the back, complaining they want food or feel like they might boke may NOT be the ideal way to end your night, but it’s worth it for you to be someone they can trust.
9. Brave things you do — like doing karaoke solo — are automatically more impressive. When your friends say, “I can’t believe you did that sober,” you can be extra proud that liquid courage isn’t needed in your life.
10. No blackouts. You will never pass out at that party or wonder how you ended up where you did the next morning.
11. You save calories. You don’t have to worry about a beer gut if you don’t drink beer. #SaveCaloriesForNutella
12. You don’t get sick at parties … at least from drinking. Throwing up less = being miserable less. FACT.
13. Your liver won’t be damaged. No cell-destroying shot-taking going on here!
14. You’re always in control of your words. You’re not going to blurt out some friend’s secret or how you really feel about someone accidentally. Unless, of course, you’re just awkward…
15. You don’t have any mysterious drunk food receipts (or drunk general receipts). When you decide to get McD’s with your friends at 4 in the morning, it is a fully conscious decision — not one you will cringe at when you wake up at noon.
16. You don’t wake up with mysterious bruises. Drunk people feel no pain. Sober people do.
17. You remember everything. Every hilarious, crazy thing your drunk friends did, you’ll be able to say next day, “Yes, that happened and yes, I saw it.”
18. Your life is less dramatic. There’s so much less you have to worry about physically and emotionally when you don’t drink. You’ve never had an alcohol-fueled meltdown that you have to apologize for later. That alone is pretty much worth it.